Morguard is now hiring a Maintenance Operations Manager to support our team in Chicago, Illinois.
We are a trusted real estate management and investment company, with a portfolio of 2,053 units based in Chicago. We are looking for an experienced Maintenance Operations Manager to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Maintenance, you will oversee the maintenance and construction programs of three luxury high-rise residential buildings in Downtown Chicago.
The Maintenance Operations Manager is accountable for the successful execution of all maintenance and construction projects within his or her communities. You’ll work to develop, plan, organize, manage, implement, and facilitate all aspects of maintenance throughout your portfolio.
You’re analytical, detail-oriented and enjoy working in a high-volume environment. You have had some familiarity with commercial real estate but have proven success with high rise luxury residential assets.
You’re determined to see your projects succeed. You seek out opportunities to improve and have a genuine curiosity that grows your understanding of property management and building maintenance. As a culture carrier, you understand the art of establishing and maintaining trustworthy relationships with colleagues, direct reports and residents alike. Through your impeccable communication and organizational skills, you see projects through to their best possible end-result. You understand that every interaction builds our company’s reputation for outstanding service.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct regular needs analyses based on property inspections and expenses to determine maintenance needs and priorities
- Regularly communicate with the regional property managers to monitor vendors adherence to contracts
- Assign outsourced construction and maintenance projects, verify completion of work and approve invoices for payment
- Assist in the design, planning, implementation and supervision of the corporate maintenance program, preventative maintenance program/policies, and procedures
- Create and distribute maintenance standards, and establish priorities tied to strategic organizational needs and plans for the company
- Assist the DOM in the achievement of the Company’s annual budget plans, and in managing maintenance programs, procedures, and staff
- Under the direction of the DOM, develop detailed scopes of work and bid lists for assigned projects; analyze bids and award projects to contractors
- Supervise contractors, check on any reported deficiencies, and correct any safety violations or other reported deficiencies
- Track and monitor construction progress through site inspections and reports
- Manage interior unit renovations to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the upgrade program within the designated multi-family communities
- Update and evaluate maintenance safety manuals, emergency preparedness manuals, and programs
- Maintain maintenance resource files and participant attendance records
- Monitor the operations of the “24 Hour On-Call” emergency maintenance program
- Remain informed of trends in the apartment industry and in the maintenance fields
- Perform and/or assist the DOM with special projects as needed
- Effectively manage personnel at multiple properties to improve access to residents and prospects to gain efficiencies
- Work collaboratively to promote the unification and standardization of all policies, procedures to all communities
Skills and qualifications that you’ll bring to our team:
- Five (5+) years construction, project management or maintenance supervision experience, with a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Proven track record of facilitating performance improvement.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local Fair Housing laws.
- Exceptional background managing maintenance programs at multi-family communities, motivating personnel, and facilitating positive resident relationships.
- Great organizational skills are critical.
- Computer literacy is a must.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Moderate travel is required.
- College degree in Construction Management or Engineering preferred.
- Must have a mechanical background.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time. Primarily between Florida, Illinois, and Maryland
We are more interested in a "servant leader" people-oriented disposition than in hierarchal management styles. You must be able to use technology, understand, prepare, and interpret financial reporting and be able to translate financial goals into actionable objectives.
The preferred candidate will be an engaged, experienced project manager willing to go the extra mile for both our residents and staff.
We support you to do your best.
At Morguard, our employees are our greatest investment. We make people our priority and strive to create a culture of respect, health and safety, and equal opportunity to support employees to meet their goals. Our company is made up of professionals with a deep knowledge of servicing apartment communities, who are passionate about what they do and who want to be the best in the business.
When you join Morguard, you join a strong and committed team and will have access to:
- Employer-Provided Medical Insurance Options
- An excellent culture that supports a work-life balance with time off for Summer Hours, Vacation, Personal, Sick Leave, and Paid Holidays
- Education Reimbursement Program - we will support your HVAC or EPA certification!
- Dollar for dollar matching 401k Savings Plan
- Opportunity to live onsite within the portfolio with our Employee Discount
Bring your leadership skills to Morguard.
All job offers are subject to a pre-employment drug test and criminal/credit background check. Qualified candidates will be asked to provide (2) references including a previous direct supervisor.
Come be a part of a motivated, skilled team that has an excellent reputation in the industry. Selected candidates must successfully pass a background check and drug test prior to employment. Two professional references will be requested upon hire. Apply now.
*Morguard is an equal opportunity employer
+This job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required of the job. Job descriptions may also be rewritten periodically to reflect any changes in the position’s duties.