Are you interested in a role where you can make an impact?
We’re looking for a Cost Accountant to take ownership of purchasing and job cost processing oversight in support of our multi-family property assets in the United States. You’ll partner with our Canadian based Accounting Manager and a team of regional Cost Accountants to identify needs and implement solutions.
We're looking for you
Because you have a solid foundation of accounting principles. You have an analytical disposition and not only the ability to understand accounting functions but also the impact they have on our business. We need you because you can articulate a problem and effectively communicate your proposed solution to everyone involved.
As our Cost Accountant, you will work within the Yardi 7S property management software and are responsible for accurate job setup, providing guidance on expense coding and budget allocation, and identifying areas where we can improve.
This job will allow you to apply your accounting expertise to identify and resolve pain points throughout the PO/IR and Job Cost process cycle.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Purchasing Process Oversight & Reporting You will work closely with operations and accounts payable teams for all purchasing related processes which include all relevant reporting. Your work will be to ensure transactions are accurately recorded to facilitate the monthly accrual process and pre-review accrual exceptions in preparation for the GL close.
- Job Cost Processing & Reporting You will be in a position to provide guidance to our operation teams on job setup and categories. On a defined period basis you will ensure that all contracts are set up in Yardi and that budgets are set up in a timely manner. You’ll prepare and provide relevant reports to inform decision making.
- Desk-side Assistance for Operations Your expertise will be a resource for our employees. You will be in a position to identify pain points and collaborate with our Training department to close skills gaps or improve our protocols.
- Prepare and examine accounting records, financial statements, taxes, and other financial reports
- Develop and analyze reporting for business operations and budgets
- Perform audits, ensuring adherence to standard requirements
- Create new processes to improve financial efficiency
- Report analysis and findings to the management team
- Minimum of 2 years experience within a Corporate Accounting department; previous experience with real estate or property management accounting is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Strong proficiency of MS Office applications; particularly Excel
- Previous exposure to property management software such as OneSite, MRI, or Yardi is useful but a working knowledge of Yardi 7S would be a valuable asset
- Excellent organization, communication - both written and oral, and thorough attention to detail are crucial
- An ability to adapt and effectively deal with continually changing circumstances and priorities
- Fundamental knowledge of GAAP
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
A few other things you may want to know:
- Is full time - operating during normal business hours but supporting teams located in Eastern, Central, and Mountain time zones
- Is paid an hourly - non-exempt from overtime rate
- May require for you to travel up to 10% of the time - both within the US & Canada
Must be able to travel to Canada
- Will be primarily based in the Morguard Metairie Corporate Office
When you join Morguard, you join a strong and committed team and will have access to:
- Employer-Provided Medical Insurance Options
- An excellent culture that supports a work-life balance with time off for Summer Hours, Vacation, Personal, Sick Leave, and Paid Holidays
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Dollar for dollar matching 401k Savings Plan
- Opportunity to live onsite within the multi-family portfolio with our Employee Discount
Morguard is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.