WHO WE ARE
Morguard is a fully integrated real estate company. We own, manage and invest in high-quality, well-located, geographically diversified assets across North America. We have built our business with strong leadership and a proven management platform that have generated substantial, risk-adjusted returns – and significant long-term growth. With 40 years of experience and a dynamic team of more than 1,500 professionals, our commitment is to realize the potential of real estate through value creation and operational excellence. Today, our total assets owned and under management is valued at $21.3 billion.
WHY JOIN MORGUARD
At Morguard, our employees are the company’s greatest investment. We make people our priority and strive to create a culture of respect, inclusion, health and safety, and equal opportunity to support employees to meet their goals. Our team is made up of professionals with a deep knowledge of servicing apartment communities, who are passionate about what they do and who want to be the best in the business. When you join Morguard, you join a strong and committed team. At Morguard our employees have access to competitive health plans, life insurance, company matched 401K, and more.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Residential Property Accountant is responsible for the bookkeeping of residential apartment properties, which can include up to approximately 5 entities per property accountant, depending on the size of the property.
A FEW OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- The property accountant will be responsible for posting daily deposits to cash sheets, preparing and posting journal entries, including reclassifications & accruals. Enter info into FAS software which calculates depreciation. Record monthly depreciation entry, calculate utility accruals, post mortgage payment, real estate tax, insurance and interest accruals.
- Prepare a monthly binder for each property including monthly financial statements, general ledger and supporting schedules for each balance sheet account.
- Review general ledger and income statement for proper coding of invoices, additional accruals and reclasses needed.
- Research, explain & work with property managers to correct outstanding items on bank reconciliations.
- Understanding of intercompany accounts.
- Must have full understanding of accounting concepts.
- Strong Excel skills. Monthly backup schedules are maintained in excel.
- Has no problem meeting deadlines and can handle working under pressure at times.
- Can work independently with little supervision as well as be a team player. Also, works well with others in the department.
- Focuses on the tasks at hand and getting the job done accurately and timely.
- Reports directly to the financial accountant for the APTS.
- May require overtime during quarter end/year end close out process
WHAT WE REQUIRE
- Positive attitude towards job duties, position and coworkers.
- Fast learner and good ability to follow instructions.
- Excellent work ethic, ability to multi task, and very detail oriented.
- Independent thinker and strong initiative.
- Ability to be open minded and takes on new responsibilities when deemed appropriate.
- Ability to work and understand Yardi software (Apartments).
- 3-5 Years’ Experience
- Accounting Degree Preferred